KB: System lockup occurs when ViaVoice reads “.-” characters
Last updated: March 01 2006
The information in this article applies to:
- ViaVoice speech synthesizers
- ZoomText 9.0
- ZoomText 8.1 and 8.0
When using ZoomText Magnifier/ScreenReader with the ViaVoice speech synthesizer, if a period followed by a dash is sent to ViaVoice (such as instances used in references to Swiss currency reference, e.g. "Fr. 1,950.-"), the system may lockup, requiring a power off reboot. This problem occurs because ViaVoice does not know how to process occurrences of a period followed by a dash.
This problem can be resolved by adding ".-" to ViaVoice's dictionary, as follows:
- On the ZoomText user interface, choose Reader > Synthesizer...
- In the Synthesizer Engine combo box, select the ViaVoice speech synthesizer.
- Click on the Pronounciation... button. The Dictionaries dialog will appear.
- Click the Add... button. The Dictionary Entry dialog will appear.
- In the Key field, type: ".-" without the quotes. That is a period followed by a dash.
- In the Translation field, type in the word “dash” or whichever word you wish associated with these characters.
- Click on the SPR From Translation button.
- Click OK to close the Dictionary Entry dialog.
- Click Close to close the Dictionaries dialog.
- Click OK to close the Speech dialog.
- The lock up problem should no longer occur.